Tahiti, a French Polynesian island in the South Pacific has become a coveted beach travel destination. How could it not? Tahiti has sprawling white sandy as well as black volcanic beaches. It is home to breathtaking coral reefs and lagoons in the hues of blue. No wonder it is a perfect beach travel destination for everyone from couples on their honeymoon to thrill seekers. You can make an entire vacation out of Tahiti or you can visit other islands of the archipelago like Bora Bora or Moorea. Get off the beaten track and travel to less famous islands like Huahine or Tikehau for a less touristy experience at half the budget. Read on for travel tips if you want Tahiti to be your new favorite beach travel destination.
Land at the Faa’a International Airport served by major air carriers and reach Papeete, Tahiti’s main city closest to the airport.
Tahiti offers a wide range of accommodations starting from 5 star luxury hotels to B&Bs, holiday homes and family run guest houses. Splurge on an overwater bungalow for spectacular views or a beach bungalow so you can dip your feet into the ocean whenever you want
Explore the island
Best way to travel around Tahiti is by renting a car or a bike. City buses are widely available and well-connected but tend to be pricey. Ferries, Catamarans, luxury yachts and cruise ships provide extensive water transport depending on your budget.
Things you must do in this beach travel destination
- Visit Tahiti’s capital Papeete and and check out Le Marche, a marketplace to immerse yourself in Tahitian culture. Encounter local artisans who have been passed down ancestral knowledge and come to the marketplace to sell their wares.
- While you’re in Papeete don’t forget to eat at a Roulotte, food trucks with simple outdoor setups that serve both local and continental cuisines.
- Attend the annual Heiva festival to check out Tahitian festivities especially tamure dancers who perform a mesmerizing dance clad in grass-skirts.
- Head to the Pointe Venus Lighthouse and gaze at azure waves crashing at a sprawling black beach.
- The Taharuuand Punaauai beaches are also for you if you enjoy the iconic volcanic beaches with ebony sand.
- Want a change of color? Head to La Plague de Maui famous for its pearly white sand and crystal clear water. It is also perfect for swimming, surfing or snorkeling.
- Explore Tahiti’s vibrant vegetation in the Vaipahi Gardens.
Tahiti’s iridescent wonders
Apart from being a prime beach travel destination, Tahiti is also home to the mysterious black pearl. Learn more about Tahiti’s pride that draws so many travelers to the island. Spot pearl farms with orange, pink and white buoys quietly floating about in the water. Watch divers extracting the black-lipped oysters which produce the characteristically black colored pearls. The largest of black pearls can be over 16 mm in size and cost above 1000 US dollars. You can buy the sparkling beauties at various shops or pearl farms on the island.
My Name is Jessica, CEO of Dirbit.com and author of few travel expedition, who has dedicated her whole life to solo adventure travelling around the world. I am very fond of outdoor adventures in extreme sports, photography and travel. I am an enthusiastic campaigner of accumulating fantastic travel experiences. I have been traveling around the world since 2000 and designed Dirbit.com to share my travel experience, thereby helping them to spending money less and travel more.